Railworks needs multiplayer

Discuss almost anything about RailWorks.

Railworks needs multiplayer

Unread postby CSX2057 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:46 pm

I feel bad for people leaving Railworks over Run 8 *!sad!*. I know people really want Mp so bad and Run 8 jumped in. I'm happy for 3Dtrains for their first simulator, but railworks really really needs to quit slacking off for routes and locos as an excuse. They better step it up a notch and get right on with multiplayer. People such as I kept on sayin get us multiplayer and they said alright alright we'll get you one, 3 years later nothin. Now I'm not bashing against Railworks, nor I will be leaving railworks. They just need to get it going and to make everyone happy. Don't you agree? Maybe we need to setup a petition. !*don-know!*
~Daniel C.

Youtube | Facebook | Twitch TV
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads. B) ~ Doc Brown

HO Large Scale Layout Route 0% Complete (Will Begin After Sept 18th)
CSX2057

Re: Railworks needs multiplayer

Unread postby PapaXpress » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:01 pm

Perhaps RSC has done a survey and found that multiplayer was not in the demand that you think it is.

I for one do not need multiplayer to be happy with RW.

But lets flip the coin and look at Run 8

- You cannot build routes
- You cannot build models
- If you mention either you are likely to be booted from their selective community

People will go play what they want, and the good news is that they can have both. Multiplayer with Run 8, and customization with RW.
"So much energy harassed in these beasts." ~ styckx
"When all else fails, read the instructions ... if that doesn't work either, try following them." ~ Old Prof
RW Sites: The Grade Crossing - Atlanta North Project - Virtual Rail Creations
PapaXpress
Site Admin

Unread postby NDORFN » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Definately. Once you go Run 8, you never go back.. and it looks like crap, so what does that tell you about the appeal of multiplayer. It's easier to immerse people in a virtual environment with interaction than it is with eye-candy. I hope RSC are making multiplayer a priority.
NDORFN

Unread postby buzz456 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:31 pm

I have no urge for multiplayer either. Before you go say "RW should have multiplayer you should check with the community." I suggest a poll if you are really interested in finding out what people think.
Image Buzz
Some people find fault like there is a reward for it.
Zig Ziglar
buzz456
Site Admin

Unread postby buzz456 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:33 pm

I would lobby against a petition. What do you get lonely out there? Get on facebook or one of those mindless chat things.
Image Buzz
Zig Ziglar
buzz456
Site Admin

Unread postby thecanadianrail » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:38 pm

NDORFN wrote:Definately. Once you go Run 8, you never go back.. and it looks like crap, so what does that tell you about the appeal of multiplayer. It's easier to immerse people in a virtual environment with interaction than it is with eye-candy. I hope RSC are making multiplayer a priority.

that statement is 100% not true, ive got Run8 and I really don't like it, after about 100 or so runs over the pass I got bored with the same old stuff over and over again, and don't even get me started on how incorrect their models are bult...take a look at their covered hopper or how their superelevation works. I like the multiplayer but the ability of customisation and freedom of speech that you get with RW means a lot to me...if I had Run8 as a hard copy I would have sold it by now....
Canadian National Railways
Courtesy and Service
My youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/user/CanadianRailRoader

Route Progress:
Can West RR - 10%
MRL Missoula to Thompson Falls - 3%
thecanadianrail

Unread postby buzz456 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:44 pm

NDORFN wrote:Definately. Once you go Run 8, you never go back.. and it looks like crap, so what does that tell you about the appeal of multiplayer. It's easier to immerse people in a virtual environment with interaction than it is with eye-candy. I hope RSC are making multiplayer a priority.

You'd better finish that beautiful route you are building before you abandon us or one of us will hunt you down and do bad things to you even though you live on that little island in the middle of no where. Be warned.
Image Buzz
Zig Ziglar
buzz456
Site Admin

Unread postby CSX2057 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:21 pm

!*roll-laugh*!

Buzz you got great explanation. I like the way you say things you really meant it, this is the kind of community I am looking for. And you're absolutely right about some things about RW. RIGHT ON! !!*ok*!!

PapaXpress wrote:Perhaps RSC has done a survey and found that multiplayer was not in the demand that you think it is.

I for one do not need multiplayer to be happy with RW.

But lets flip the coin and look at Run 8

- You cannot build routes
- You cannot build models
- If you mention either you are likely to be booted from their selective community

People will go play what they want, and the good news is that they can have both. Multiplayer with Run 8, and customization with RW.

Yup you're right about that. I ran Mojave in Run 8 myself and......I got bored. Very quickly. Why? you only run 1 desert route, you drive it over and over and over. I'm not into the desert route like the Cajon Pass. I like more of trees, mountains and if you could get me a route like that? I'm satisfied. People did tell me "Once you run on Run 8 you can never come back" That's entirely not true! I did run it once on Run 8 and I said the same thing but guess what! I've came back to RW. Why? More routes! More Freewares! Railworks America is my top of the line for everything I need. idk bout Run 8 but I'll check out the features they have in the future. Oh and uh guess what. American Express Prepaid CC coming in the mail and Run 8 doesn't accept that except steam. Only MC and Visa. That's sad. Now I can buy DLC when I want whenever I want lol. !*YAAA*!
~Daniel C.

CSX2057

Unread postby artimrj » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:16 am

I too bought run8, Played with it about a week, have not tried it since except to install the updates and see if they took. I have no desire to play multiplayer. I do not have time to sit for hours and hours to do a session. I like the less than an hour scenarios in RW just fine and that is enough. And like most are saying it looks like crap compared to RW. If I have to sit and look at something for hours on end I would like it to at least look appealing. As far as their forums restrictions go, that does not bother me n the slightest as it is their forum and they can do whatever they like with it, much like we do here at RWA. It is a private forum just like theirs. Our rules are different but we still have them and we enforce them best we can. There is no freedom of speech in any forum. Essentially, everyone who runs a forum is a dictator. Thats the way of the internet. Freedom of speech is a myth.
Bob Artim
North Eastern Rail Works - NERW

Good, yes, you done well; there is a small price, the history of the world.

AMD Phenom II x6 1045T @ 2.7 GHz, 8 gig of Ram, NVidia GTX 760 2 Gig, 4 TB of Maxtor HDs, Win 7 64 bit
artimrj
Site Admin

Unread postby fecrails » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:53 am

The only thing that concerns me about having several choices available in the rail sim market is that the hobbies talent gets spread too thin. There is no doubt that the introduction of Run 8 drew some talented content creators away from RW. There are also many talented creators over on the Trainz platform as well. The US train sim market is a rather small niche compared to other mass market games, so every individual makes a big difference with their contribution to the hobby. IMHO, RW is the best overall train sim on the market, so I'm biased in that I would like to see RW become the train sim of choice among US simmers. If a multiplayer option would help us gain market share, I would like to see that option with RW, even if I don't use it myself. As the old saying goes: There's strength in numbers!
fecrails

Unread postby buzz456 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:38 am

fecrails wrote:The only thing that concerns me about having several choices available in the rail sim market is that the hobbies talent gets spread too thin. There is no doubt that the introduction of Run 8 drew some talented content creators away from RW. There are also many talented creators over on the Trainz platform as well. The US train sim market is a rather small niche compared to other mass market games, so every individual makes a big difference with their contribution to the hobby. IMHO, RW is the best overall train sim on the market, so I'm biased in that I would like to see RW become the train sim of choice among US simmers. If a multiplayer option would help us gain market share, I would like to see that option with RW, even if I don't use it myself. As the old saying goes: There's strength in numbers!

I admit to not knowing a lot about most of the other sims. I agree with everything you just said although you need to realize that Railworks is more of a Euro and US market with all the stuff they put out for our brothers across the pond where I think some of the other are exclusive to us here in the US. In any event I am a old Flight Sim guy and one of the main reasons I quit that was not the stupid controllers w/o a clue but all the other pilots on line that felt compelled to chat all the time about nothing. Maybe a multi-player for RW would be different. I may be weird but for my time steam claims I have played I am sure that over 75% has been in free roam not even in a organized scenario.
**!!2cents!!**
Image Buzz
Zig Ziglar
buzz456
Site Admin

Unread postby steamman » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:42 am

I too have to say I have no interest in multiplayer.. I've tried it in both FS and Run 8, didn't like it in either. As for going to Run 8 and not coming back. I'll echo some others on here. I haven't even touched R8 in well over a month. Didn't take long to get tired of running the same boring desert route.

I keep looking at R8 and keep thinking, it's a shame the developer(s) over there are so narrow minded. How much further advanced it probably would be had they, as they should have, opened it to 3rd party development. But I guess he/they want to keep it as a cash cow. So be it but, they're loosing a lot of business I'll bet.
steamman

Unread postby CSX2057 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:44 pm

steamman wrote:I too have to say I have no interest in multiplayer.. I've tried it in both FS and Run 8, didn't like it in either. As for going to Run 8 and not coming back. I'll echo some others on here. I haven't even touched R8 in well over a month. Didn't take long to get tired of running the same boring desert route.

I keep looking at R8 and keep thinking, it's a shame the developer(s) over there are so narrow minded. How much further advanced it probably would be had they, as they should have, opened it to 3rd party development. But I guess he/they want to keep it as a cash cow. So be it but, they're loosing a lot of business I'll bet.

Glad I'm not the only one saying Desert is Boring, cause it is. I am interested in multiplayer because you got dispatchers, yardmaster and other sort or just for fun. Make friends as well as here too !!*ok*!!. Yes Run 8 has some restriction, I got kicked once before I bought it. Run 8 graphics is not that well.....how you put it...close to be as rw. Its so close to be a msts the way I see it.
~Daniel C.

CSX2057

Unread postby ArcticCatZRT » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:03 pm

Personally I think has Run 8 has some great ideas, but honestly it is not for me. I play many games/sims and I do play for the fun of it. I feel that run 8 would be like having another job. I experienced this with some of the 3rd party planes I have gotten for FSX, such as teh Captain Sim 767, it is a great aircarft, but I have to spend 15 mins getting the plane set-up before I can even get off the ground.

It is all a matter of opinion on which is better, I feel the community has settled down a bit since run 8 has become more popular. There were many members who were never too satisfied with RW for one reason and another. There would be conflicts now and again about this issues between people who enjoyed RW and others who had no where else to go. Now the members have moved on to a sim that suits them more, I feel that having a diverse amount of options is a good thing.
ArcticCatZRT

Unread postby buzz456 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:04 pm

Please let's not get into comparing sims here. That's not out goal. The subject is about multiplayer.
Image Buzz
Zig Ziglar
buzz456
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion