Eliminating redundant files

Help and support forum for Mike Simpson's RW Tools

Moderator: mikesimpson

Eliminating redundant files

Unread postby Roadmaster259 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi Mike. Quick question. Is there a feature in RW tools that removes unused/redundant files from a route that one is building? I have no doubt that when I finish building the route I will have numerous files in my Product folder that are not referenced by any shapes or textures used in the route. So, how can I get rid of the junk files before I pack up the route?

Warm regards,
Grant
Roadmaster259

Re: Eliminating redundant files

Unread postby mikesimpson » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:31 pm

Hi, I am not sure what you mean by your 'Product folder'? However there are a couple of things you can try.

1. Go to the Route Builder Tools/Check Route screen, select your route in the list of routes and click on 'Show Provider/Products used in selected route'. This will bring up a list of providers/products, select one at a time and click 'Display items used from selected P/P' and you will be told which assets by each provider is used.

2. You can also run the Check Route option, and obtain a list of all assets used by the route. Save the list, do the same with textures, audio etc and save all of the lists. Then run the 'Package routes assets' option and a zip file of all required items will be prepared for you. Unfortunately this pack does not include what I originally described as 'Default items', i.e. items from the original Kuju version of Rail Simulator as everyone used to have these. I am in the process of changing the program to remove all calls to default items.

That is all I can think of for now, maybe other users have ideas?
mikesimpson
Forum Mod

Unread postby Roadmaster259 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:26 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, Mike.

Hi, I am not sure what you mean by your 'Product folder'?

Of course you know what a Product folder is. My Product folder is located in my Provider folder, just like RSC\MariasPass, for example. RSC is the Provider. MariasPass is the product folder. All the assets of the route are located in the various folders contained within the Product folder. I have created my own Provider and Product folders, namely; RMS\RMS_Common. What I need to clean up are the unused/redundant files in the Scenery folder found in the RMS_Common folder.

I like your idea about saving lists of all the shapes, textures, audio, etc., used in the route and then manually removing files from my Product folder that are not being used. It should be simple enough. All I need do is compare the list of assets used in the route to the list of assets in the applicable folder (Clutter, Vehicles, etc.) and delete any scenery files and textures that are not referenced.

For some reason, I had the idea that when RW Tools is used to pack a route, it would skip any files not actually used in the final production. If a file wasn't referenced, it didn't get packed. But, who knows where that idea came from? I might have been enjoying some BC Bud that day.

Thanks again, Mike.
Roadmaster259

Unread postby mikesimpson » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:41 pm

Yes, I see where you are coming from now. I had a look at the packaging of files with RW_Tools and realise this is totally out of date as it does not package any files from the 'Kuju' folder and several other folders which were considered as 'Default' folders when RailSimulator first appeared. These files were included with all copies of the earlier versions of the sim. Now of course, many of these files are in add-on packs, not in the base sim, so I am rewriting that part of the program.

I hope to have a new version out soon. It should enable you to package only what you actually need.

Mike
mikesimpson
Forum Mod

Return to RW Tools