Clone Career scenario and lose messages

Help and support forum for Mike Simpson's RW Tools

Moderator: mikesimpson

Clone Career scenario and lose messages

Unread postby j3richard » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:24 pm

Ok, I can clone a career scenario to a standard scenario with a new name and save it ok but I lose all of the messages and event completions.

the files not copied over when I clone from career to standard are the "EN" folder which contains all of the messages and the 3 script .lua files.

If I copy these files over manually it works fine.

I have read that if there are language files to add #3 to the end of the cloned scenario but this does not work.

Can somebody provide some help with this???

I am running the latest version of the utility

Thx
j3richard

Re: Clone Career scenario and lose messages

Unread postby _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:29 pm

Perhaps there are references to the scenario's UUID (that large combination of digits and letters) hard coded into the scenario script and language files?
I don't know if RW_Tools changes those references? Or there could be a checksum that needs to be re-calculated?

Care to tell us which career scenario you want to clone so we can have a peek at its contents?
Edwin "Kanawha"
The Chessie, the train that never was ... (6000 hp Baldwin-Westinghouse steam turbine electric)
_o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha

Unread postby j3richard » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm

I am using the "B&O Kingwood branch route and the "Training run 2, climbing the switchback" but this occurs with any scenario that an has an EN folder with all of the message within.

I would think that the #3 at the end of the cloned scenario would tell the utility to copy this files over also ???
j3richard

Unread postby j3richard » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:42 pm

It seems that there is a problem with the RW editor not coping these files over or a procedural problem with how I am doing this ????
j3richard

Unread postby mikesimpson » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:38 pm

It looks like DTG have added these language files to Career scenarios since I originally wrote the option to clone the scenarios. There are also a bunch of .lan and .lua files with some Scenarios. I will have to spend some time trying to fix this.

Unfortunately I have recently spent some time in hospital, so have not been able to do any programming but I will see what I can do with this.

Mike
mikesimpson
Forum Mod

Unread postby mikesimpson » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:45 pm

_o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha wrote:Perhaps there are references to the scenario's UUID (that large combination of digits and letters) hard coded into the scenario script and language files?
I don't know if RW_Tools changes those references? Or there could be a checksum that needs to be re-calculated?

Care to tell us which career scenario you want to clone so we can have a peek at its contents?

Yes, RW_Tools does provide new UUID numbers for cloned scenarios because since TS2013 scenarios do require unique UUID numbers

Mike
mikesimpson
Forum Mod

Unread postby mikesimpson » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:15 pm

I have placed an updated v7.0.28 of RW_Tools on my site today. I think this now works OK, there was no need to copy the folders like EN over, as the data in them is contained in the files like EN.lan which are copied, I think it was the missing .lua files which caused the failure.

Please test this version and let me know if the scenarios you convert to Standard work or not (the ones I tried worked OK).

Mike
mikesimpson
Forum Mod

Unread postby _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:07 am

You're a godsend Mike.
If it weren't for you and RW Tools TSxx would be so much more awkward and clumsy to use.
Edwin "Kanawha"
The Chessie, the train that never was ... (6000 hp Baldwin-Westinghouse steam turbine electric)
_o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha

Unread postby j3richard » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:44 am

Mike, This still does not work...I am working with the B&O Kingwood Branch (work train to snider scerario or any other for that matter)

when I clone this Career scenario to a standard the ".lua file is copied over but there is no ".EN" or "EN.lan" copied...the only way I can get this to work is to add the ".EN" file. There is also an ".luac" file ???

Hope this helps, it is never easy but we want to keep you're excellent program on track.

Hope you are feeling better and I have attached 2 files for reference.

Thx, John
Attachments
Original Career folder.JPG
Original files in career folder
Original Career folder.JPG (35.91 KiB) Viewed 417 times
Cloned to Standard folder.JPG
Had to add the .EN folder to get it to work
Cloned to Standard folder.JPG (22.43 KiB) Viewed 417 times
j3richard

Unread postby mikesimpson » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:07 pm

Thanks for that, I will have another go today. From this example you can see my problem, it appears that in some scenarios, they place the language data in folders such as EN, DE etc depending upon what language is used and possibly point to these with a .lua or .luac file, whereas in others the language data is placed in files like EN.lan, DE.lan etc.

The latter types are easier to manage as it is just a matter of copying *.lan across, but in the case of folders, I need to know the names to copy them, most will include 'EN' but others are also needed depending upon the language of the user.

Mike
mikesimpson
Forum Mod

Unread postby mikesimpson » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:03 pm

OK, new version v7.0.29 on my site now (you may need to press F5 in your browser to see it).

Now copies over EN, DE and FR folders as well as any .lan .lua or .luac files as well.

The B&O scenario you asked about now shows messages Ok once cloned as a Standard Scenario.

With this version, if the Weather file is not found due to being in an .ap file, you are told to unpack it before proceeding (as otherwise the clone does not work correctly).

Mike
mikesimpson
Forum Mod

Unread postby Chacal » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:41 pm

mikesimpson wrote:With this version, if the Weather file is not found due to being in an .ap file, you are told to unpack it before proceeding (as otherwise the clone does not work correctly).

Thanks Mike for this one!
Over the hill and gathering speed
Chacal

Re: RW_Tools error 2017 messag ???

Unread postby j3richard » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:57 am

Mike, So far as I have gone everything copies over ok.

Just curious but why does this language error message come up every time I clone a scerario???

Again thank you for a quick response with this update. You're efforts are truly appreciated.

Mike if they are going to package all of these text messages in a folder why can't they also include the voice messages.

I have run across some scenarios that have some voice messages and they are so much better. XXXX fingers crossed!

Thx, John
Attachments
RW_tools 2017.JPG
error message language???
RW_tools 2017.JPG (28.05 KiB) Viewed 376 times
j3richard

Unread postby mikesimpson » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:33 pm

That is not an error message, it is just an information message to remind users that they should make sure their cloned scenario has a unique name, e.g it is probably best to do this by adding a number to the end of the name so that is then obvious that this is a new version of an existing scenario. (Error messages have the word 'Error' in the title).

As for audio messages, that is up to the writer of the scenario and in many cases will be well outside of their capabilities, especially if they wish the scenario to be in multiple languages, not everyone is capable of recording messages in Spanish and Russian as well as English.

Mike
mikesimpson
Forum Mod

Return to RW Tools