Copying Loose Consists From One Scenario to Another

Help and support forum for Mike Simpson's RW Tools

Moderator: mikesimpson

Copying Loose Consists From One Scenario to Another

Unread postby cnwfan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:45 am

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure if this is even possible, but could an enhancement be considered to copy a loose consist from one scenario to another scenario? Yes... I know I can save off the loose consist and place it in the new scenario. But then I end up with a bunch of "junk" consists that I periodically need to delete from Edit Consists. Plus, placing long consists is frustrating at best with the current editor. I've even tried cloning the scenario, but then I'm faced with placing a new scenario marker, which generates another copy, and deleting out the consists I don't want to keep.

The reason why I'm asking for this is for multiple part scenario development where you want some yard tracks and/or spurs populated with the same set of cars... even down to the same set of numbers... so that there is a consistent look in those areas that are visited in the multiple part scenarios. Anyways, I thought I'd toss the suggestion out. Maybe there will be some interest from other scenario writers in the community. And thank you for RWTools. I don't think I could have survived Railworks without it!
Howard (cnwfan)
Dyersville, IA
Oelwein & Western Route
cnwfan

Re: Copying Loose Consists From One Scenario to Another

Unread postby mikesimpson » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:32 pm

Hi Howard,

I will have a look at this, but might not be possible, or if possible take a lot of time, I will get back to you.

Mike
mikesimpson
Forum Mod

Unread postby cnwfan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:47 pm

Thank you for looking into this request. And if it's not possible or it requires too much development, I understand. Thank you!!
Howard (cnwfan)
Dyersville, IA
Oelwein & Western Route
cnwfan

Unread postby mikesimpson » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:17 pm

Hi Howard,

OK, I seem to have managed to do this. I will upload a new version of RW_Tools today which will have the following changes to the 'Edit scenario' screen.

1. New button 'Save Selected Loose Consist' - this saves the selected consist to a new folder 'RW_Tools\SavedFiles' (folder is automatically added if not there already). User can name the loose consist whatever he likes, e.g. ChicagoYardSiding5_52Boxcars.txt

2. New button "Add Previously saved loose consist' - You can then select the above saved consist and add it to any other scenario you have for the same route. It will be placed in EXACTLY the same position as in the original scenario. So this only works if the siding is empty or you will end up with 2 consists in the same location which is not a good idea :-)

Hope this helps, Mike.
mikesimpson
Forum Mod

Unread postby cnwfan » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:45 pm

Hi Mike,

You are a coding ninja! Just took the enhancement out for a test drive... and it works great. This is going to save me so much time and make populating sidings and yards so much easier... especially with longer cuts of cars. Thank you very much for doing this!!!!
*!!thnx!!*
Howard (cnwfan)
Dyersville, IA
Oelwein & Western Route
cnwfan

Return to RW Tools