Foreign language support

Help and support forum for Mike Simpson's RW Tools

Moderator: mikesimpson

Foreign language support

Unread postby _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:50 pm

I am playing my European routes more of late and downloaded the latest offerings and updates from Czech Republic, France, Greece and Russia.

When checking these routes, it appears RW_Tools has trouble displaying accented letters like in Czech or French or letters belonging to the Greek and Cyrillic alphabets.
Especially scenarios that contain destination markers in non-English aren't shown at all, this affects the Russian routes.

The Russian names in the scenario selection in Railworks and on the "9" map are shown in Cyrillic proper.

Is there a solution since the Russian routes crash and I cannot check them. I suspect the odd Cyrillic character has been inserted in some asset paths probably.

Non-US Windows versions have all character sets installed, and Greek and Russian texts display OK in internet browsers, etc.
Edwin "Kanawha"
The Chessie, the train that never was ... (6000 hp Baldwin-Westinghouse steam turbine electric)
_o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha

Re: Foreign language support

Unread postby ex-railwayman » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:35 pm

Have you obtained the newest version that was released today, Edwin? You need v6.0.81 from here, http://www.rstools.info/downloads.html which Mike has tweaked for various language problems, hopefully, your query might have been already answered.

Cheerz, ex-railwayman.
i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.
ex-railwayman

Unread postby _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:40 pm

ex-railwayman wrote:Have you obtained the newest version that was released today, Edwin? You need v6.0.81 from here, http://www.rstools.info/downloads.html which Mike has tweaked for various language problems, hopefully, your query might have been already answered.

Cheerz, ex-railwayman.

Yes, I am using v6.0.81, just updated today before doing the checks on the new routes.
It is only the Russian scenario lists that remain empty.

What fonts does RW_Tools actually use? Does it depend on the System Locale? That gaming computer uses US International, so perhaps those .nls code pages aren't installed?

i can speak, read and write Russian, so I have the language bar and Cyrillic fonts installed, but perhaps those are for other programs like Word?

Edit: that gaming computer isn't used for word processing, etc. I cannot remember if I ever installed any languages into it.
When I get a new SSD for the operating system a re-install is due. But I'd like to keep that lean and mean and not clutter it with unnecessary stuff like display fonts, desktop gadgets and the like.

NameMyRoute.exe displays all the scenarios in Cyrillic. But shows the "reading scenario properties has failed" error that is still plaguing me often.

I don't know wherefrom NameMyroute.exe gets its information. Probably not from the scenario database compiled at every Railworks start. It takes so long I presume it reads each route's scenario folder, and the contents of the .ap files.

I manually checked one of those faulty scenarios. There are indeed errors in the GUIDToNameMapping section, which defines the destinations, etc.: the name fields contain gobbledygook.
More important for RW_Tools' purposes is that there seem no locomotives defined in the FrontEndDriverList for some scenarios, so RW_Tools hasn't anything to list.

Best to dump the lot and try to create a simple free roam after I can get the route to load.
Edwin "Kanawha"
The Chessie, the train that never was ... (6000 hp Baldwin-Westinghouse steam turbine electric)
_o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha

Unread postby mikesimpson » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:47 pm

RW_Tools does not support Russian or other Cyrillic languages (or Greek or Chinese for that matter), it was written in English as that is the only language I know to edit files in the English language program TS2016. It works in other European languages as some users have sent me language files which work OK.

There is a Russian language file sent me by a Russian user, but it does require a Russian language version of Windows to be installed, and as far as I know, it only changes the Menu language and some button captions.

As for accented letters in French, German, Spanish and Czech - the program does check for these in file names etc, and where possible it does display the names correctly. However there are a large number of possible accented letters and there may be some which the program misses. If you find these then kindly send me a copy of the file in question, or at least a link where I can download the item in question and I will see what I can do.

The main problem I have had with translating these characters is that .xml files do not natively support these characters (nor a large number of punctuation characters which is why an apostrophe in a file name appears as "'") and I have had to add a translation table for all of these 'foreign' characters. On top of this, not all fonts use the same ASCII code for the same characters.

I do try my best.

Mike
mikesimpson
Forum Mod

Return to RW Tools