.ap files not remaining unpacked

Help and support forum for Mike Simpson's RW Tools

Moderator: mikesimpson

.ap files not remaining unpacked

Unread postby ValleyBoy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:48 pm

When I go to the "Find All .ap Files" section it lists 40 Assets.ap files 28 of which are red. After I go thru the unpacking process all are black but if I close the Report Page and then select "Find All .ap Files" again the same 28 files are red again. The same happens if I close RWTools then reopen it and repeat the process. Another problem is that none of the MainContent.ap files appear in the list.
Can anyone help to explain the reason for this unusual occurance?
Brian Wilson.
ValleyBoy

Re: .ap files not remaining unpacked

Unread postby buzz456 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:08 pm

It's not unusual. The program doesn't delete the .ap files so they are still there. The difference is that when you go look at the items they are there in a un-packed version also in the folder.
Buzz
39 and holding.
"Some people find fault like there's a reward for it."- Zig Ziglar
"If you can dream it you can do it."- Walt Disney
buzz456
Site Admin

Unread postby ValleyBoy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:26 pm

Buzz:
I just did a further small experiment. After unpacking all the Assets.ap files I went directly to Internet Explorer without closing the report page or RW_Tools and looked at several of the files associated with the assets.ap files that had been red and found that no unpacking had occured at all. It would seem that the unpacking function is not working. I can still do the unpacking manually but this is rather tedious and defeats the purpose of RW_Tools.
There also still remains the question of why none of the MainContent.ap files appear in the list when I select "find all .ap files.
Brian
ValleyBoy

Unread postby mikesimpson » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:48 pm

Hi Brian,

It is really up to the user to check the various folders to see (or remember) which .ap files have been unpacked.

RW_Tools checks the size of the folder and compares it with the size of the .ap file - if the .ap file has been unpacked, then the folder will be roughly twice the size of the .ap file and it is coloured in black, whereas if the total size of the folder is much the same as the size of the .ap file then it is shown in red.

Unfortunately, some folders, especially routes, contain a number of .ap files, e.g. the MainContent.ap file plus a number of scenario .ap files, thus giving confusing results.

On top of this, if Steam sends a new version of a .ap file, it removes some/all of the unpacked files and so you need to unpack it again.

It is probably easiest to check the dates of .ap files and unpack any with this week's dates as you will know you have not unpacked them.

If you have correctly run the unpack routine as shown in a previous post here, then there should be no way that the MainContent.ap or any other .ap folders which the user has selected would not be unpacked. I have tested this on a system with over 450 .ap files and every one unpacked correctly.

Mike
mikesimpson
Forum Mod

Return to RW Tools